Stephen R. Davis, Partner
Practice Areas: Commercial Real Estate
Steve heads-up the firm’s corporate and commercial real estate practice. In April of 2017, Steve left Willcox Savage, a preeminent Hampton Roads firm, after almost 30 years there where he was the Managing Partner of the firm’s Virginia Beach office and the former Chair of its commercial real estate practice, to join Randy and form Singer Davis, LLC.
Over his career, one of Steve’s primary focuses has been commercial real estate leasing, representing both landlords and tenants in the drafting and negotiation of retail, office, and commercial/industrial leases. Steve also regularly represents both municipalities and developers in public/private partnerships and works on behalf of businesses and real estate developers in land use matters and the acquisition, development, financing and sale of commercial real estate projects. Steve also has extensive experience in structuring transactions and joint ventures, entity formation and general counsel representation and in negotiating and resolving business disputes.
Steve is regularly listed in Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers and Virginia’s “Legal Elite” and was previously named among Virginia’s Top 100 and Top 50 Lawyers by Super Lawyers. Like Randy, Steve views life, and therefore the practice of law, as a calling, and Steve currently serves as the Facilitator of the Elder Board at Trinity Church, where Randy is the Teaching Pastor.
- Counsel for municipality in public/private partnership for the development of a sports and entertainment arena constructed by a private developer using private financing.
- Regional counsel for publicly-traded REIT in leasing, acquisition, sale and development of Class-A suburban office properties.
- Represented municipality in connection with a transaction incentivizing preservation and rehabilitation of the historic Cavalier Hotel on the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
- Represents national telecommunications company in leasing and other real estate transactions throughout Virginia.
- Represents regional healthcare provider in leasing medical office building portfolio, as well as tenant representation and sales, acquisitions and development.
- Represents media technology company in nationwide tenant leasing, including leasing space for data-center facilities in multiple states.
- Represented major healthcare network in connection with the development of a medical office tower, including drafting of ground lease for the site, negotiation of a construction contract for the building and preparation of a form office lease.
- Represented the owner in the revitalization, redevelopment and leasing of JANAF Shopping Center, the largest strip shopping center in Hampton Roads.
- Negotiated numerous “anchor” and other major tenant retail leases, as well as retail outparcel ground leases.
- Represented municipality in public/private development of mixed-use hotel and conference center project.
- Lead counsel for major regional healthcare provider in the development and leasing of $200 million healthcare campus.
- Negotiated a lease with the City of Philadelphia on behalf of major local ship repair contractor relating to a portion of the former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard.
- Closed $60,000,000 securitized loan relating to regional power center.
- Represented major local shipyard in leasing a surplus dry dock from the United States Navy, a transaction which involved resolving various business, use and financing issues within the confines of government contracting restrictions.
- J.D., College of William & Mary, 1987
- B.A., Virginia Tech, 1984
- Hampton Roads Association for Commercial Real Estate (HRACRE)
- Virginia Beach Vision: Past-President
- Virginia Beach Neptune Festival: Board Member and 2013 Triton
- CIVIC Leadership Institute, Class of 2005
- Trinity Church: Facilitator of Elder Board
- Recover for Life: Board of Directors